Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Student meteorology club presents the solar eclipse

The meteorology program ordered 1,000 eclipse glasses and gave them out throughout the summer and on the day of the eclipse.  I made sure all EAS classes that morning had a supply of glasses.  I also partnered with Student Activities (Thanks Diana Ibarra!) since we were both planning eclipse parties, why not join forces?  Our Student Chapter of the American Meteorological Society hosted a booth, the physics department hosted a booth, and student activities had their booths for handing out their 5,000 sets of MSU Denver eclipse glasses!  Wow!  I was able to print up a bunch of posters and tried to get some poor-man's viewers set up at our booth.  Physics saved the day with some legit eclipse viewers!  Here are some of my favorite photos from the day.
Stephanie, Kiska, Megan, Erin, and Josh prepared to educate the masses
It was a unique experience sharing glasses and sharing the experience with thousands of students on campus while many of my friends headed to Wyoming to experience totality.  A student put it best, "I've never felt such a positive energy on this campus as I did during the eclipse!"  I think it was worth staying behind to educate and spread the love of science, but I might have to head towards totality for the next one in 2024 in the eastern U.S.!

Eclipse party!  

The physics department had a great display of the current moon shadow

Any small hole could project the crescent shape

From my spot on the grass where I had to sit to get away from the swarms of people wanting to borrow glasses.  Hey, a gal's got to take it all in!

Shadows from leaves on the trees


Josh remembering to take it in himself while passing around shared glasses after we ran out

Eclipse party at the Tivoli

So many people, so much awesome energy!

The sun and moon-themed stuffed animals were enjoyed by many

Bri talking to the little ones about what an eclipse is after the main event
Students kept a record of temperature during the eclipse as it dropped.  Dr. Wagner had his GLOBE instruments set up in the shade nearby to record 5-minute temperatures as well.  Yay science!